Saturday, January 29, 2011

MUSHY WEATHER AHEAD

One of the luxuries I experience when Bear is hibernating is free run of the computer. No competition for the keyboard at all.

Of course, I do help Bear when he's "out," by looking after his mail. So I figure I should have some privileges here.

Brutal weather these days; -20°C (that's about -4°F), with wind chill down to -30C (or roughly -22F). Not a lot of fun.

I still like to go for walks on these days, but not for very long. I could freeze my nose pretty quickly. And my feet, too; though last time I went for a hair cut, they left the hair on my feet, so my feet would stay warmer.

What's been worse is that we got some rain on top of the snow, so even I am slip-sliding around when I walk. Perfect weather for people to fall and break a hip or leg. (If you're out and about in this, please be careful — whether walking or driving!)

However, the weather is becoming changeable, as is usual around the end of January. Next week, it will be up to the freezing point (or thawing point), and things will get dirty and mushy.

And when it's dirty and mushy, I'll have to get my feet washed or wiped every time I come into the house. That's a bother! Bear likes to keep his place clean; J is even more particular. I can't believe how fastidious these Humans are! (If you're reading this, you're probably a Human, so you would understand.)

And after a few days of that, it will be down to -20 again. And I'll take up residence in front of the gas stove, or in Bear's big wing-backed chair.

Sigh.

6 comments:

Jean said...

Goodness - I now feel ashamed to be grumbling that it is only just above freezing here.

I hope you and Bear stay nice and warm. What a good idea to leave fur on your feet - after all, we humans all wear furry slippers - fake fur, of course !1

The Queen said...

-20 are you kidding me with this.. well.. our prison is in Kansas.. so at least you will be warm while you stay with us..... and.. we decided we love you so we are giving you an extra toothbrush... see.. we aren't totally heartless...

The Bipolar Diva said...

I always have a hard time figuring out -20 in Canada to F in America. Either way it's way too cold for me!

Miss Sadie said...

® Jean: We all have furry feet in this weather? I never thought of that, but it's true. Thanks.

® queen and Diva: NO kidding. And, for the record, -20°C (as in Celsius or Canadian) is a balmy -4°F. Just part of the background up here. Either you learn to survive, or you don't. Simple.
Currently in Topeka, -4C/23F
Currently in Portland, 6C/43F

Brenda Susan said...

Hi Miss Sadie - Thank you for all of your encouraging words recently! I have to say that your wisdom far exceeds what I would normally expect from a dog. Don't be offended by that racial prejudice, it's just part of my culture I guess. I will try to adjust my paradigm to include doggy advice from now on.
Thanx!

Miss Sadie said...

® Brenda Susan: Sorry to be slow in replying. Just be careful what you say about your "advisers." We wouldn't want the word to get around that your blog had gone to the dog, or dogs.